FRONTIER GATEWAY MUSEUM
Museum Surpasses 100,000 Visitors
to take a walk backward in time may want to stop at
the Frontier Gateway Museum. It is located just north
of Glendive on Belle Prairie Road and offers a wide
variety of historical items.
museum are displays of local history with fossils
dating back 200 million years, old-time stores and
displays from World War II. An addition completed
in 2001 has tripled the size of the display area.
Four display booths were added to the new room in
2002. These are set up as an old photograph studio,
a Christmas room and a western millinery shop.
built around the Northern Pacific Railroad, and displays
featuring artifacts from that time are on display
in the museum. Also in the main lobby is a sketch
of Camp Canby, which preceded Glendive. The camp was
manned by the 22nd Infantry and was used to protect
railroad workers as they built the railroad into the
complex of seven buildings is located on an acre of
land. Behind the main building is a real eye-catcher,
an original log cabin moved log-by-log from Paxton,
a community originally located outside of Richey.
Also an original rural schoolhouse complete with authentic
furnishings, and many other reproductions of buildings,
are located at the museum.
buildings include two country stores, a livery stable
reproduction which houses original buggies and a blacksmith
shop. A machinery storage building houses a variety
of old farm equipment, and a restored windmill sits
in the middle of the grounds.
In 2004, A
kiosk commemorating the Lewis and Clark Expedition
was put up by the ACT Committee of the Glendive Chamber
of Commerce and Agriculture. In 2006 a display of
Glendive historical photographs was put together in
memory of Theresa Jones.
Always of interest
are fire engines, and the museum has those as well.
Local fire-department employees have constructed a
replica fire hall, which houses a 1916 American LaFrance
fire engine on loan from the fire department. A 1930s
fire engine and an old-time ladder truck are also
stored in the fire hall.
museum, visitors are in for a visual treat as they
can walk down a street reminiscent of Glendives
early main street. The display, called Merrill West,
is based on photographs taken of Glendive in the late
1800s and early 1900s.
on the street include Glendives first mercantile,
the Douglas-Mead and Company, which opened in 1885;
the first womens wear shop, the Kepp-Boertsch
Co.; the first newspaper building, The Glendive Times;
and the first drug store, Hope S. Davis Drug Store.
displays at the museum include fossils, Montana moss
agates, buckskins, many mounted animals and animal
skins, authentic reproductions of medieval armor and
a World War II display which features uniforms, newspaper
clippings, and Japanese and American flags.
also has a Northern Pacific Railroad caboose and a
1918, 155 millimeter cannon located in the park area
west of the main building.
is open from 9 a.m. until noon and from 1 to 5 p.m.,
Monday through Saturday, from June through August.
On Sundays and holidays it is open from 1 to 5 p.m.
During the months of May and September, hours are
1 to 5 p.m., Monday through Sunday. The telephone
number for the museum is 377-8168.
For an appointment
or for further information call the museum at 377-8168