Reviewing the Past

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Following are articles as they appeared in the Ranger-Review, the Dawson County Review, and Glendive Independent, 25, 50 & 94 years ago this month.

25 Years Ago

Littering on private land has been a problem for many area landowners for quite sometime.

But for Don Skartved, who owns land in West Glendive near the black bridge, a bunch of skinned animals dumped by the roadside was too much.

“Somebody, probably an illegal trapper, stopped alongside the road and dumped them. There is about 10 to 12 skinned coyotes, a skinned duck and some others in bags,” said Skartved.

Skartved said his vehicle had stalled and that’s when he noticed the heap by the roadside. He thought it was a deer that had been hit, but on further inspection it was a heap of skinned coyotes and other animals. Also lying on the ground were latex gloves.

“They (trappers) just think this is a convenient place to dump them. People dump animals and throw carcasses out here. It’s just too much trouble for them to take it to the dump,” said Skartved.

According to Jim Miller, area game warden, trappers often have agreements with land owners to dump the carcasses in coulees. But in this case no permission was given. Miller said the only infraction that a person could be charged with is misdemeanor littering for unlawfully disposing of dead animals on or near a road and on privately owned land.

The penalty for unlawful disposal of dead animals can be from $50 to $500, while the penalty for disposal in an unauthorized area may not exceed $100 or imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed 30 days or both.

When she was 16 years old, Amie LeNoue discovered she had a brother two years younger than she. When she was 18, she learned he was living in Montana or North Dakota. Friday she met him for the first time.

Amie said she had grown up thinking she was an only child. That all changed when, at 16, she accompanied her pregnant mother to the hospital and heard her mother answer a doctor’s question about the number of pregnancies she’d had. Her mother gave the wrong number, and when Amie protested, her mother motioned for her to be quiet.

While growing up Amie had always wanted a brother or sister. When she heard what her mother was saying in answer to the doctor’s questions and realized she actually had one, she burst into tears and ran from the hospital room. “I really freaked out,” she said.

When she turned 18, her mother finally told her that her father and brother were living somewhere in North Dakota or Montana. Amie got on the phone and started calling all the LeNoues she could find, she said.

Her search led her to a woman who had been married to Amie’s grandfather and still used the name LeNoue. This woman told Amie that her daughter, their father’s step sister Evelyn and her husband Charles Rickett, had adopted Amie’s brother Josh, and he was living on a ranch north of Wibaux with Evelyn and her second husband, Gary Barnaby. Her father, Don LeNoue, was living in Dickinson, N.D.

When Josh was born, his mother had very little money and didn’t know how she was going to be able to care for him, so she had asked Evelyn if she would adopt him, Evleyn said.

Amie first contacted Josh by phone on June 10, 1995. A woman Amie was staying with in Michigan gave her money for a bus ticket, and she called Evelyn to say she was coming, she said.

When Josh saw Amie for the first time, he wasn’t sure how to react, he said. He knew it must be his sister, but it seemed strange to suddenly have her there.

Even though they grew up in very different environments, they are amazingly alike.

Amie is not sure what the future holds, but is looking forward to catching up on the 16 years she has missed with her brother. She’s already made a good start in the “beating” area, Josh noted, adding jokingly that he’s absorbed 16 years worth of pounding in the last three days.

50 Years Ago Grundy, Spiro Head Sluicers

Bob Grundhauser was elected ground worthy exalted sluicer at the first annual convention of Ground Sluicers of America at the Beer Jug Sunday. In a stunning upset victory, Spiro T. Agnew was named vice sluicer, defeating Jack Beres, and has been advised of his triumph by telegram.

Other newly elected officers are Don Lies, secretary-treasurer; Bill Hatterscheid, tv controller; Paul Winhofer, chief instructor of candidates; Bob Scherting, area anti-pollution administrator; Frank (Zeke) Burke, publicity director; John Berres, precise procedure programmer; and George Scherger easily defeated Carrie Nation for the latter post. In the race for anti-pollution administrator, Scherting handily defeated Ann A. Conda.

Named to the organization’s board of directors were Jack Beres, Doug Anderson and Phil Auble.

It was voted to hold the second annual national convention at the Beer Jug next January on the first Sunday there is a televised hockey games.

A total of $2,023 in prize money was divided among the winners in five different classes in both A and B main event of the first Northwest International Snowmobile championships held in Glendive on Jan. 30 and 31. Eighty-six racers entered the two-day competition.

Racers were entered from Fargo, N.D., Spearfish S.D., Bozeman, Rapid City, S.D., Missoula, Lander and Sheridon, Wyo., and many others from cities closer to the Gate City. Several racers from Glendive also entered.

The Glendive one-half mile track at the Dawson county fairgrounds was enthusiastically received by all racers who stated it was one of the finest they had ever raced on.

Only two mishaps occurred during the twoday event. Roy Lohse of Alamo, N.D., had a big thrill and spill when his throttle stuck wide open going into the southwest corner and he hurtled through straw bales at a speed in excess of 60 miles per hour. He escaped injury, but his machine suffered a set of misshapen skis and other minor damage.

Jim Henderson of Fargo lost control of his machine on the final turn of the last lap of the final race in the 800 main. The machine slid sideways, then rolled several times, throwing the driver and knocking him unconscious. He was taken to the Glendive Community Hospital where he remained overnight and was released Monday afternoon.

An innovation was tried at the fairgrounds Sunday when Farmers Union Central Exchange and Bob Baker of Western Oil Well Service combined efforts using two of Western’s big two million b.t.u. gas heaters to force heated air up into the grandstand. It made sitting in the stands much more comfortable and the sponsors expressed their thanks to the two community-minded firms.